Monday, October 6, 2008

Beginning of October

This past weekend (actually 2 weekends ago now) I did a lot of different things! I had Marina from Brazil sleep over on Friday night after we both came back from a short trip to Groningen. On the way back Marina and I got in trouble for sitting in 1st class (gasp! what a crime!!!). It was empty by the way. Though the train guys clearly have no sympathy, even for foreigners like ourselves.




On Saturday I took a solitary trip to the Markt and I really had an enjoyable time. Every Wednesday and Saturday there is a Markt in Assen, and there are stands all along the street where you can but pretty much anything. I had a good time trying all kinds of sausage samples from different butchers, while pretending to be interested.

I also scored some free apple tart! I was just biking through a street (and feeling quite hungry!) when a woman stopped me and asked me if I would like some free apple tart. I didn't really know how that was possible, until she lead me into a room where there was a long table on which layed around 20 apple tarts. People were just sitting around eating their tarts! So I grabbed a slice and joined the party! It turned out it was because the bookstore across the street was celebrating its 10th year anniversary. That really made my day! It was definitely an "I love Holland" moment :)

That night I went to Borne for my friend Helen's 18th birthday party. I was told to dress accordlingly for the theme, which was Kiwiana (Helen is from New Zealand). So, stupid me, I decided to wear flip flops. I missed the first train, so I was FREEZING at the station and I must have looked ridiculous along with my bright, lime-green, leopard-print pants. I have made a mental note never to wear flip flops ever again in October.


Here is Helen, the birthday girl, wearing her pavlova dress!



So the only down-side was that I was freezing. I was able to borrow a pair of boots from Helen's extremely generous host sister (thank you!!!). At night we all decided to go into town. Actually, it was another town- Hengelo. Do not ask me why they wanted to bike to another town. So we borrowed bikes, and biked for what seemed about 40 mintues in freezing cold wind. I had never biked in so much wind before, and I have to admit it really was not fun at first. It was fun, however, to see the night scene on the bike path! Although it was really really windy, there were still a few people out and about! Everyone has their lights on, which are self-powered. If you get caught without your bike light on at night it is around a 100 euro fine! It was also pretty funny listening to Sam (also from America) on his bike, which was making the funniest loud squeaking sound the whole way there. It reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine when the car could not stop beeping.

When we FINALLY got there, we went to this cafe/bar/dance club kind of thing. It was so cool! I had never seen anything like that before! It was filled with people my age, just dancing and having a good time. Some of the music was so bad I couldn't help but laugh. There is some Dutch music that is just so weird! Anyway, we had an enjoyable time.

Everyone was so thankful that I could help them order things in Dutch. I felt like an intepreter or something! It was quite fun! We all had a memorable night and I left the next day from Helen's house after a nice slice of pavlova (with extra kiwi slices!).

Sam at the station:


Another observation of mine about Holland- so many people here smoke cigarettes! Especially at school, there are so many students who smoke. At first I was a bit grossed out by it, but now I am used to seeing it everywhere. Even the gym teachers smoke, which I find pretty funny.


Other points of interest:

  • I have been getting better at biking without hands! It is quite a normal skill here!
  • Dad: speaking of McCain and his acorns, I think he would really fin in here- there are acorns EVERYWHERE! And slugs.

  • Over the financial crisis: it has really been effecting everyone! I calculated it, and I have lost around $100 due to the new exchange rate. I never thought that I would be involved in a world-wide financial crisis! The word to sum it all up is this: "UGH!" But we all have to remember that, hey, money is just money. Don't let it (completely) bring you down!
Bye for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh i totally promise to write really soon.
i keep thinking that i should but i don't have time!! even though i have time to write this message.